Thursday, April 14, 2011

World's Tallest Teen Goes to Thailand

Share
Malee Duangdee holds the record for being the world’s tallest teenager with 2.083m (6ft 10in) tall and weighs 127kg. But the 19-year-old from the Trat province in eastern Thailand has suffered painful school memories of bullies and a lifetime of loneliness. “I used to feel like a freak, school children used to bully me and call me names,” she said.

"Since leaving school I've tried to feel more comfortable with who I am," Malee said. Taunted by her classmates while she was at school, Malee now spends all her time with her family.

Malee’s mother, Ji, 40, did not realise Malee was ‘different’ until she was around 9-years-old when she began to grow much faster than her school friends. “She looked different to her friends and I got a little worried,” Ji said. “I took her to the doctor because I wanted to be sure there was nothing seriously wrong with her.” 

But Malee was diagnosed with a brain tumour, which was pressing on a nerve causing a hormone imbalance. Malee has also lost the sight in her eyes as a result. “I’ve been tall for as long as I can remember and taking medication is part of my daily life,” she said. “But as I’ve got older my eye sight has got worse and it’s really difficult for me to get around.” 

Malee needs an injection every 3 months to control the benign brain tumour and stop her from growing. But it’s costing the family almost £2,000 a time. “The injections have really helped to control her growth but they are expensive,” said Ji.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FileServe
Upgrade to a FileSonic Premium account and download at incredible speed!
Make Money Blogging with BlogProfit.com
Tell a Friend

2009 Copyright Lets-Round-The-World.blogspot.com
All Right Reserved